Thursday, February 9, 2012

RSVP, what is that?

                When did RSVP become an extinct term?  This respectful way of letting your hostess know that you will or will not attend a party are just letters on a paper these days.  The more modern “Regrets Only” sparks the same response, nothing.   These terms are driving me crazy this week.
                On Saturday, we are finally celebrating Victoria’s birthday with her classmates even though her birthday was December 13th.  (I know I deserve the mother of the year award.)   I usually have Victoria’s party the first weekend of December, but due to a scheduling conflict, I was going to move it to the next weekend which we still had something to do.  I decided that since she was going to be eight, I would ask her if we could move her party until after the Christmas break.  I did not want to schedule her party the weekend before Christmas because then her friends could have conflicts.  She did have a friend come over to spend the night and we went to the movies and ate pizza.  It was great.  Well, as you can see we are just now getting the opportunity to party.
                I prepared the invitations and instead of putting RSVP, I put “Regrets Only” as I have decided to do.  I started doing it this way because I would never get a response otherwise.  Out of 23 invitations that were handed out, I have only had one person to respond.  Does that mean that 22 kids will be showing up at the party site? My guess is not likely.  It would be nice to know how many to plan for.  I do not particularly care to purchase party favors or food for kids that are a no show.  As you can tell, I am a little irritated about this.  I want my daughter to have all her friends there to celebrate her birthday, even if it is late.  I suppose those that come are the ones that are meant to be there.  I only hope I survive. Party on!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully everything went smoothly for your daughter’s birthday party. Although I have never had to setup a child’s birthday party before, I imagine it can get a little stressful and irritating figuring out all the details. In your situation, I would’ve gone ahead and planned for all 22 kids to be there. One thing I know from experience, it’s better to have leftovers than not enough food. Especially in your case, it’ll save you that awkward moment with little Johnny’s parents in having to explain to them why their precious little angel didn’t get any pizza while the rest of the kids did. Overall, I think the fact that you had a birthday party for your daughter, even though it was belated, shows how much of a cool mom you are. With my luck, that small get together with the friend and pizza that you mentioned, would’ve been enough to classify as a party for my parents.

    ReplyDelete