Friday, February 17, 2012

Thank You Lord!

Do you ever have those moments that make you stop and think that could have been me? What about the ones that make you thankful for going a different direction than you originally were going to take?   Well, this happened to me less than an hour ago. 

I had just dropped my son of at school and was heading over to Bryant Irving to help a friend clean a house.  The route I decided to take was one that would take me past my house.  I decided to go this route because I thought it would be faster than going through Crowley.  When I stop and think about it now, I really needed to go that way so that I could stop at Kroger and get gas because I am on empty.  For some reason I totally forgot about this at the time and set out on my merry way, watching the rain glistening off the trees and grass as I drove through the countryside.  I even caught a glimpse of a faint rainbow in the east.  Here I am driving, listening to the radio, and I pass the street where I live.  As soon as I pass it, my battery warning light comes on. This has never happened to me before so since I was close to home, I thought I would turn around and have my husband check it out .  I turned into the gas station that is down the street from my road and could barely turn left.  I started to panic because then I knew something was really wrong.  There for a minute I thought I was driving an old, classic car that did not have power steering.  (Who ever invented power steering should receive an international award or something.)  I finally get turned around and headed back the half a mile to my street.  This was the longest half a mile ever, but I made it home safe and sound.

As soon as I pull in, park the car, and turn it off I can see steam rising from under the hood which is never a good sign.  I raised the hood and began to inspect for what the issue might be when instantly, water beings pouring from underneath.  I call my dad, who lives next door, and asked him to come over while I was waiting on my husband to get home from work.  We begin to fiddle with the radiator trying to see what it could be.  Well, it is my water pump.  Now my husband gets to have a water pump party instead of getting some much needed sleep.  Thank you dear!

After the diagnosis, I begin to reflect on how the mornings events could have turned out so differently.  I thank the Lord for gently directing us in directions that we may not have gone otherwise.  I think sometimes that this is his way of telling us we need to stop and smell the flowers more.  If I had gone any other way this morning, then I would not have been by my house and would have spent more than the $55 for a water pump to tow my car home.  Thank you Lord for knowing what we need when we need it.  I hope everyone has a blessed weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, I do believe that God works in mysterious ways, and your experience is an excellent example of that. While you have a bad water pump to deal with, it could have been much worse. You have been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that your situation turned out well. It is surprising how the small decisions we make everyday have the potential of such drastic consequences. In your case, it must have been relieving to avoid such a scene as your car breaking down at some unknown location. A couple of years ago I had the unfortunate fate of having my car break down due to the fuel pump not working properly. It happened during the early morning rush hour on my way to class, so I missed class and I had to dig into my savings to pay for the repairs. Good thing I have a couple of uncles that are mechanics, thus I was able to avoid paying any excessive labor fess that other places might charge. In all, it was an interesting learning experience to say the least, but it did force me to react in a situation outside of my comfort zone, which I think is necessary every once in awhile in our lives.

    P.S. sorry for the late post. I had it saved on my laptop but had to run out that day and forgot to post when I came back.

    ReplyDelete