Friday, February 24, 2012

Am I There Yet?

I have been super busy the last few days.  On Wednesday, I went to the International Newcomers Academy in Fort Worth to observe three different classes.  I was able to observe two middle school classes and one ninth grade class.  What an experience it was.  The students that attend this school are so eager to learn our customs and language it is truly amazing.  I met students from all over the world; Mexico, Nepal, Africa, Burma, etc.  Many of these students have only been here a matter of days and some weeks.  I can only imagine how much anxiety these students must experience, being uprooted from their native country and brought thousands of miles, on the other side of the world, to a country that they know little or nothing about.  It definitely was an experience that I will remember always.
On Thursday, I went to Fort Worth Country Day, with my honors computer class, to visit with the computer lab teacher and all I can say is WOW!  The students that are privileged enough to attend this college prep school are learning so many amazing things.  I was blown away by what first graders were able to do.  There are not many first graders that I know that can do their own Excel spreadsheet.  My classmates and I really enjoyed our visit of this campus.  We learned so much and we all came away with aspirations of one day having the opportunity to teach here. 
I am so excited and ready to make my mark with my future students. Some days it seems years away when in reality, it could be within a year.  I cannot wait!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite the experience. I have heard about the International Newcomers Academy and was curious as to exactly what went on in there. It’s surprising that the students are in classrooms after being here only a short amount of time. If I was to move to a completely different country as a teenager and not have the ability to speak a word of the language and start school in a matter of days from arriving, I too would feel overwhelmed. I commend those students for having to go through that. As to the Fort Worth Country Day, that is shocking to hear that first graders are working on Excel spreadsheets. I don’t think I had even heard of Excel until I reached junior high. My outlook on the future has slightly gotten better knowing that part of the younger generation are committed to achieving excellence.

    ReplyDelete