Friday, March 2, 2012

What a Day!

Today I had the pleasure of accompanying my oldest daughter, Lauren, and her fifth grade class to the Planetarium at UTA.  My friend and I were late to the first show because we were given the wrong start time by our children’s teachers.  We were able to catch the last 30 minutes and it was really neat.  The movie was about our solar system, and one of the best parts was the reclining stadium seats.  If the movie was about 30 minutes longer, then I would have been out like a light. 
Next, we were whisked away by a couple of graduate students to a science magic show.  The grad students did a few neat science demonstrations which the students thought were pretty great.  Unfortunately it was cut short due a class that was scheduled to meet in the classroom we were in. 
After lunch was when the real fun began.  We were separated into groups and given a list of items to find and take pictures of.  That is right, we had a Scavenger Hunt! I am not sure who was more determined to find everything, me or the students in my group.  I found myself trying to find where each item was located before we even finished lunch.  We walked what seemed for hours when in fact it was only about an hour.  The students I had in my group ran from one place to the next.  It was so tiring that I had to take a 15 minute power nap in the car while waiting to pickup my other girls from school. 
I honestly can say that this was the most fun and engaging field trip that I have been on in a very long time.  The students of UTA were so helpful when we stopped them for directions to the next location we were looking for.  I received many comments about how young the freshmen were looking these days.  There was even one student that stopped us to ask if they could direct us.  I was thinking on the way to UTA how the student reaction would be when 100 plus fifth graders descended on their campus.  I can say I was pleasantly surprised.  What a day!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had quite the adventure. I haven’t had the opportunity to visit the planetarium at UTA, but from the sounds of it I have to check it out sometime. I have been to the Omni Theater, although not recently, but from what I remember it was a blast. I’m assuming the planetarium is a similar kind of experience, but obviously I won’t know unless I actually go there. The scavenger hunt sounds exhausting. I know that after an afternoon with my niece and nephew, I too feel the same way, I have to sit back and relax and recuperate. I’m starting to see the big picture as to what life is like with kids, you seem like a real life super mom. Having grown up with only one sibling, and he’s twelve years my elder, it felt like I was an only child. Heck, by the time I was in elementary he was preparing to graduate high school. All I can say, I hope one day I can have a big family and be as involved as you are.

    ReplyDelete